As of now, Dustin Poirier is no longer scheduled for UFC 299.
The former interim UFC lightweight champion was set to meet Benoit Saint-Denis in a five-round co-main event bout. However, he has said contract issues will keep that bout from happening.
“There was no contractual agreement before the fight was announced,” Poirier told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto. “We couldn’t come to terms.”
The news comes just a day after another previously announced fight by UFC president Dana White was hit with the same issue. Vicente Luque was scheduled to battle Sean Brady, but that also did not have an official fight contract signed at the time.
Poirier was looking to bounce back after a July loss to Justin Gaethje for the “BMF” title at UFC 291. Overall, “The Diamond” is 29-8 with a no-contest including wins over Michael Chandler, Conor McGregor and Dan Hooker.
Saint-Denis has reeled off five consecutive finishes, highlighted by a first round head-kick knockout of Matt Frevola at UFC 295 last year. HIs lone career loss came in his Octagon debut in 2021.
Dustin Poirier Off UFC 299
UFC 299 is scheduled for March 9 from the Kaseya Center in Miami, Florida. In the main event, Sean O’Malley defends his bantamweight championship against Marlon Vera.
Those two previously met in 2020 with Vera earning a first round TKO victory.
Other fights include Kevin Holland welcoming former Bellator contender Michael Page to the promotion, Gilbert Burns battling Jack Della Maddalena and Petr Yan taking on Song Yadong.
UPDATE: Dustin Poirier Back On
Poirier has since backtracked, saying it was a misunderstanding between himself and his management team.
“Sorry folks, I jumped the gun,” he posted on social media. “I couldn’t get a hold of my manager for a few days. I just spoke with him and Hunter (Campbell).
“Misunderstanding on my part. Fight is on See you March 9th in Miami!!!”