The Shavkat Rakhmonov next fight news should be announced soon, as the UFC welterweight contender looks to continue his winning ways. Since making history as the first Kazakh fighter to sign with the UFC, he has reeled off six finishes. Here are three possible choices for his next fight and a recap of his big win over Stephen Thompson.
Who will Shavkat Rakhmonov next fight be against?
As the UFC continues to announce key bouts for the coming months, you can expect Rakhmonov to be among those scheduled for action. Fellow top contenders Kamaru Usman and Belal Muhammad, along with reigning division champion Leon Edwards, all make for interesting choices for Rakhmonov.
- Nigerian Nightmare: The former champion would serve as a gatekeeper for Rakhmonov, as he has dropped his last three. The two most recent defeats, though, have both been close majority decision setbacks to Khamzat Chimaev and Edwards. If he is a true future title challenge, beating Usman would prove that.
- Remember the Name: Unbeaten since 2019, Muhammad believes he deserves to fight for the title next. A showdown with Rakhmonov would definitely create a true No. 1 contender if he gets passed over again.
- Rocky: If the UFC feels he is ready, giving Rakhmonov the champion now would be a massive jump up in competition but would say a lot about how the company feels about him as a new potential superstar.
Shavkat Rakhmonov vs. Stephen Thompson recap
When you become the first fighter to finish Stephen Thompson, it definitely delivers a message. Rakhmonov earned his 10th career submission win at UFC 296 when he locked in a rear-naked choke on the former title challenger.
What happened: While “Wonderboy” is not the fighter he used to be, he is still a world-class talent, and scoring a victory over him is a meaningful moment in a fighter’s career that sends a major message to casual fans. Rakhmonov did both in December by earning a decisive win over the American and another finish during his UFC career.
The fallout: If people didn’t understand how good “Nomad” is before they should wisen up to that fact now. He is young, hungry, has a difficult-to-handle striking game, and is a talented grappler. There is no one more well-rounded among the rising stars in the division than him.
The roadmap: There are many options available for the UFC when it comes to Shavkat Rakhmonov’s next opponent but chances are he takes part in a title eliminator matchup in his next fight.
What makes Shavkat Rakhmonov so popular?
It is quite evident that his ability to finish opponents is what makes Rakhmonov so popular. Of his 18 career fights, all of them have been stoppage wins, highlighted by six coming inside the Octagon.
- Shavkat Rakhmonov Record: 18-0
- Shavkat Rakhmonov height: 6-foot-1
- Shavkat Rakhmonov stats: “Nomad” has been on a mission since joining the UFC, reeling off six consecutive finishes. He became the first fighter to finish Stephen Thompson when they squared off at UFC 296 last December.
- He has earned two fight-night bonuses for finishes of Carlston Harris and Neil Magny.
- Before signing with the UFC, he won the M-1 welterweight title and also the KZMMAF 170-pound belt. Rakhmonov made his debut back in 2014.
- At 18 years old, Rakhmonov became a world champion in amateur MMA when he captured a belt for the World MMA Association in 2013.
Shavkat Rakhmonov’s net worth
Money is often one of the greatest measuring stick for a fighter’s success. As of 2024, Rakhmonov’s net worth is estimated to be $1 million.