Which Segment Was This For?
The leaked script was allegedly written for the food fight segment involving the B-Team and other Raw tag teams. Being one of the better segments over the past couple of months in my opinion, I was quite interested to see how this promo came to fruition.
What Was the In-Ring Promo Checklist/Script
Attached to the leaked segment script was a checklist for writers on what to include and think about when writing a segment/promo.
WRITER’S IN-RING PROMO CHECKLIST
RE-WRITING PROMOS AT TV:
- PROMO BULLET POINTS
- B-Team welcome everyone to the BBQ // Show off the various food items
- B-Team say that they are next in line for the RAW Tag Team Titles
- Titus and Slater confront B-Team about their claim
- Titus starts food fight which ends with B-Team putting Rhyno through a table
- WHAT IS THE PREMISE // DOES THE PROMO MAKE SENSE (as a STAND-ALONE and in SHOW TOTALITY)?
- TELL A STORY: MAKE IT ENTERTAINING // GRAB THE AUDIENCE’S ATTENTION // BIG FINISH
- DO NOT CHANGE TENSES
- REHEARSE YOUR SEGMENT BACKSTAGE and if required, IN THE ARENA BEFORE DOORS – if for whatever reason you can’t rehearse in the arena then COMMUNICATE THIS ASAP (BEFORE your segment airs)
- CHECK THE LATEST DRAFTS for the LATEST CHANGES
- EXECUTE VKM NOTES/DIRECTION – if you find any notes do not “work” during in-arena rehearsals or while producing the segment backstage, then COMMUNICATE ASAP (BEFORE your segment airs)
- TIME THE PROMO (TALENT SHOULD NOT ADLIB)
- PROPS, PRODUCERS, TRUCK – EVERYBODY needs to be on the SAME PAGE
HEADSET / GORILLA CUES
- TELL KD / VKM AND KIDMAN IF YOU THINK YOUR SEGMENT IS GOING TO RUN HEAVY (BEFORE the segment starts)
- SPEAK CLEARLY so KD // VKM can HEAR YOU
- STAY AHEAD OF CUES (REPEAT YOURSELF IF NECESSARY): MIC PLACEMENT // MUSIC CUES // ORDER OF ENTRANCES, etc…
- NOTE any SPECIAL CAMERA SHOTS or specific BLOCKING
- GIVE the LAST LINE and MUSIC TO HIT ON THE OUT
- WHO GOES OVER IN THE MATCH (if applicable)
- RUN INS
- MUSIC NEEDED
- PROMO / INTERVIEW
Triple H mentioned in the past that some WWE superstars like to go out with a script, while others like to be a little more creative.
One of the things that stood out to me was the level of detail, especially where tenses and adlib are concerned. It leaves little room for creative freedom and it is frankly one of the problems that plague the WWE at the moment. Should there be an outline of a story? Sure, but do not limit your superstars so much!
What is your take after reading the leaked promo checklist? Let us know in the comment section below.