The Terence Crawford next fight news should come soon as “Bud” looks to build from his incredible performance in July. While the boxing world anxiously awaits, we offer up three potential opponent options for the undisputed welterweight champion.
Who will Terence Crawford Next Fight Be Against?
Considering Crawford’s undefeated record and status as boxing’s pound-for-pound number-one fighter, he has a plethora of options that can draw in huge numbers and further cement his legacy. That is why fights with Canelo Alvarez, Errol Spence Jr., and Tim Tszyu make sense next.
- Canelo Alvarez: The Mexican star may be several weight classes above Crawford, but that’s what makes it such an intriguing idea. Much like Alvarez dared to be great with a move up to light heavyweight against Sergey Kovalev, Crawford has expressed interest in testing his skills against a much heavier opponent.
- Errol Spence Jr.: Soon after their fight in July, Spence triggered the rematch clause in their original bout agreement. Even though previous reports targeted December and 154 pounds for the do-over, it hasn’t come to fruition. A recent cataract surgery may keep Spence sidelined for the near future.
- Tim Tszyu: According to Crawford’s trainer Bernie Davis, the Omaha native is considering grabbing another belt in a fourth division. That path would lead right through undefeated super welterweight champion Tim Tszyu.
Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence Jr. Recap
After years of circling one another and accruing title defenses, the two undefeated highlight reel machines finally met in the ring to settle the long debate about who was the true king of the welterweight division.
What Happened: With a sold-out crowd at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, the highly anticipated fight was a showcase for Crawford. With effective countering, crushing power, and superior conditioning, Crawford outworked and dominated Spence resulting in a ninth-round TKO. It was his eleventh consecutive stoppage win.
The Fallout: Coming into the fight, most expected a far more competitive affair. But when Crawford dismantled his rival, it established the hierarchy for this generation of boxing. After years of being doubted, Bud finally settled into his place among the greats of the sport.
The roadmap: There are several different paths that Crawford can take in his next outing. He could get more comfortable as this generation’s definitive welterweight and take on all comers to the division. He could chase bigger challenges that will propel his name to legendary status. Or Bud could elect to wind his career down in his sixteenth year as a professional.
What Makes Terence Crawford So Popular?
Crawford’s popularity is the direct result of what he does in the ring. While his personality does little to attract headlines, he has delivered at fight time. With a 77.5% finish rate, it’s impossible to not be entertained by Crawford. The win over Spence and becoming a unified champion are likely to boost the returns for his next fight.
- Terence Crawford record: 40-0 (31 knockouts, 9 decisions)
- Terence Crawford weight: “Bud” competes at welterweight, which has a limit of 141 pounds
- Crawford has won world titles in three different weight classes (welterweight, light welterweight, lightweight)
- Crawford has had 15 successful title defenses.
- Terence Crawford has scored knockout wins over notable fighters such as Errol Spence Jr., Shawn Porter, Kell Brock, Amir Khan, and Jeff Horn.
- Crawford inherited a love of wrestling from his father and grandfather. He now helps his son hone their craft on the mats. Bud has been known to engage in some playful matches on occasion.
Terence Crawford’s Net Worth
Crawford’s success in the ring has given the Omaha native hefty financial rewards. His net worth is estimated to be $18 million.