The Rock Targets 2022 For XFL Return
It would seem as if The Rock and other XFL officials have learned a lesson or two from Vince McMahon and former owners of the league.
The former wrestling superstar announced he had purchased the company along with long-time business partner Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital Partners from McMahon earlier this year. The cost was $15 million for the entire league.
Jeffrey Pollack, who serves as the XFL president and chief operating officer, informed ESPN that instead of trying to get things up and running in 2021, they are targeting 2022 for the start.
“For the love of football and for the safety of our players and fans, we’ll be back on the field in 2022,” Pollack said. “The opportunity in front of us, with our new ownership, is simply too big to rush back.
“We want to do this properly with care and thought for everyone who loves football, especially our players, coaches, partners and fans.”
The Rock, also known as Dwayne Johnson, posted this on social media:
“THE XFL RETURNS SPRING 2022. As owners, we’re proud to champion our XFL players, coaches, cities and fans into an electrifying 2022 season!” he wrote. “I’m so inspired to put in the work because football always represented an opportunity to me.
Opportunity to take care of my family. And even though my dreams of playing pro football never came true – I’m in the exciting and humbling position to create opportunities for players so their dreams can come true.
“It’s an uphill battle – but we’re hungry, humble and no one will outwork us. A league of culture, passion & purpose. We are the XFL and we’re back spring 2022!”
Back in April, McMahon laid off nearly all XFL workers before declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy. McMahon cited the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic for his decision.
The XFL completed half of the planned 10-game schedule in its return for a second time.
Shotzi Blackheart’s Scary Botch
During WWE NXT, Shotzi Blackheart met Dakota Kai in a women’s bout.
Blackheart was on the receiving end of a nasty move that appeared to go wrong. She hit her head on the apron while attempting to perform an offensive move against Kai.
Following the bout, Blackheart took to social media to explain that wasn’t how the move was expected to go.
“I swear I wasn’t trying to land on my head tonight,” she said.
Blackheart was able to recover and finish off the match. She also explained how things were suppose to go down on social media.
I swear I wasnt trying to land on my head tonight…. pic.twitter.com/lrQqB9oGGv
— Shotzi (@ShotziWWE) October 1, 2020
The 27-year-old competed on Tough Enough in 2015, but was forced out with an irregular heartbeat that was discovered during her medicals.
In 2019, Blackheart signed with WWE to the NXT brand, joining the WWE Performance Center. She was in the January battle royal for the NXT women’s title, but was eliminated by Shayna Baszler.
Currently, Blackheart is receiving her biggest push to date in NXT. The NXT women’s division needs some new stars and Blackheart seems to be in the hunt for a possible title run.