Wade Barrett Back Full-Time With WWE
WWE has signed former superstar Wade Barrett to a new full-time contract.
Barrett steps in for Mauro Ranallo as an announcer on WWE NXT. He has been sitting in for the past several weeks on a part-time basis.
The deal is for one year and will see Barrett be part of every NXT broadcast including the TakeOver events. There is an option to extend the contract beyond this year on the table.
“I hope this lasts for a long time, that’s our intent,” Barrett told Sports Illustrated. “So there is no bad news to share, but never forget, there is always a little bad news up my sleeve.”
This match on tonight’s #WWENXT was insane. @ShotziWWE stepped it up huge vs @shirai_io.
Perfectly encapsulates why I joined @WWENXT 👊🏻 https://t.co/H7tcDbbKEh
— Stu Bennett (@StuBennett) September 17, 2020
Barrett joins Vic Joseph and Beth Phoenix.
“Our aim is to be different, a little more unique than the other WWE programming,” Barrett said. “We don’t want to be a carbon copy of what you hear on RAW or SmackDown. I’ve known Beth for years, and she is incredibly talented, and I am just getting to know Vic. I’m excited to learn from and work with both of them, and I’m really excited to develop this into a really tight unit.”
Welcome to the team, officially, #WadeBarrett! 💛🖤@StuBennett #WeAreNXT #WWENXT @VicJosephWWE pic.twitter.com/BuIMpUj8yb
— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) September 17, 2020
The 40-year-old Barrett captured the first season of NXT to secure his WWE contract. He was put in the role of leader of The Nexus faction, winning the WWE Intercontinental title five times.
Barrett had a major role in 2010, headlining five pay-per-views and competing for the WWE championship three times. He also won the 2015 King of the Ring and was the leader of The Corre faction with former Nexus members Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel.
After leaving WWE in 2016, Barrett started working in non-wrestling roles including as a commentator for World of Sport Wrestling and general manager for Defiant Wrestling.
Sonya Deville Stalker Update
Sonya Deville’s stalker has entered a not guilty plea for his attempt at kidnapping the WWE superstar.
Philip Thomas II made an attempt to abduct Deville in August from her home. He broke in and had a backpack containing duct tape, pepper spray, zip ties, window punches and more items.
Thomas faces three felonies and one misdemeanor charge. The charge of Armed Burglary Of A Dwelling carries a life in prison charge with it. The other counts could see him serve a maximum of 15 years for each in Florida.
According to case documents obtained by Wrestling Inc., those charges include Attempted Armed Kidnapping, Aggravated Stalking With A Weapon and Criminal Mischief.
Thomas is set to appear before the judge virtually on October 12 with another court date set for November. Deville is seeking a temporary protection injunction at that time.
A judge denied Thomas’ $2 million bail after Deville’s lawyers let it be known she is concerned for the safety of herself and family. She has also filed a motion to have evidence sealed as he shows her home address and family members, which could lead to more attempts on her life.
— Daria/Sonya Deville (@SonyaDevilleWWE) September 4, 2020
The 26-year-old Deville competed on the 2015 season of WWE Tough Enough before signing a contract with the promotion. She has also competed in MMA matches during her professional career.
At SummerSlam earlier this year, she lost a loser-leaves-WWE match to Mandy Rose, writing her off television to deal with this matter.
Categorized: Sports Wrestle Newz Wrestling