Although Tony Ferguson recently said he’s been tabled a fight, following UFC Fort Lauderdale, Dana White says “El Cucuy” is still not ready to compete.
A couple of weeks ago, the former interim lightweight champ claimed via social media that he had been offered a bout by the promotion. Those comments surfaced not long after Ferguson reported he has been medically cleared to compete, following reports in March that the fighter had been behaving erratically (which prompted Ferguson’s wife to file for a temporary restraining order. The legal filing, however, has since been dropped).
Well, after Saturday’s card, White was asked for updates on both Ferguson and Conor McGregor. The UFC President said this (quote via MMA Mania):
“I was supposed to meet with (McGregor) down here; we’re going to meet in L.A. instead,” White said. “As far as I know right now, Tony’s still not ready to go, or I would be trying to book him.”
So, we’ll see what happens here. Hopefully, we get to see Ferguson back in the Octagon before 2019 is up. The talented fighter hasn’t competed now since November, when he stopped Anthony Pettis (corner stoppage).