As it turns out, Colby Covington is going to fight for the UFC’s welterweight crown next, and the controversial fighter responded to the news in “Chaos” fashion.
Leading up to last night’s fight between Tyron Woodley and Kamaru Usman, Dana White said that Covington would need to win another bout, before receiving a title shot. That didn’t sit well with the former interim champ, and Covington continued to campaign for a championship fight this last weekend at UFC 235.
Well, as you likely know by now, Usman dominated Tyron Woodley last night and is now the welterweight champ. After the card, ESPN’s Brett Okamoto reported that Covington had been told by the promotion that he will, in fact, fight for the belt next. You can see Covington’s response below:
Correction: UFC has already informed Colby Covington he will defend against newly crowned number 1 contender Marty Snoozeman. And that's not news Brett. That's how number 1 contenders work. #PeoplesChamp https://t.co/oBREeUGZaH
— Colby Covington (@ColbyCovMMA) March 3, 2019
Correction: UFC has already informed Colby Covington he will defend against newly crowned number 1 contender Marty Snoozeman. And that’s not news Brett. That’s how number 1 contenders work. #PeoplesChamp
Now, obviously, the comment above is part of Covington’s act. As noted above, White had said that the ATT fighter was going to need to score another win before getting tapped for a title shot.
But, all that aside, it’s hard to argue that Covington doesn’t deserve to fight for the belt. He’s won six straight bouts and never lost the interim title he won last summer in the Octagon.